Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Vegas, Baby!

Let's review those important sins we all live in mortal fear of... m'kay?

Because I blew all of them last week in Vegas celebrating the husband's 50th birthday!

Here we go:

Let's start with GREED - the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. Shiny machines spiting out easy money. Enough said? Maybe not. The slots I picked gave all the money to someone else - probably to save my soul. Thank you cosmic universe.

Then there is GLUTTONY - an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. Food, drink - Dionysus would have been so proud.

LUST - an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body. After years of travel there, I finally made it to a real old school Vegas topless review. Fabulous! Spectacular! Best of all.... SHINY! I love the shiny. How does that tag line go? "The headdress weighs 35 lbs. but the rest of the costume could fit in a teacup." Bally's Jubilee! was well worth the wait.

There was a wee tinge of ENVY as well. The desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. On one hand, most of the fashions I saw in the windows of the myriad shops I would not have worn to a trailer park (no offense intended to any readers who may reside in a trailer park... but you know... the reputation and all) however: the jewelry stores were another matter entirely. Want. Want. Want. Naughty Connie.

Ah PRIDE - excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. And frankly that applies when we are overly enamored of our children's beauty and accomplishment as well. Seriously? He's that good looking and can stack a double tower of all the creamers on the table to entertain his mother while we wait for dinner? Righteous!

Then there is SLOTH - the avoidance of physical or spiritual work. No work. No school. Very little deep thinking. There was a LOT of walking though so perhaps I was not a super sloth. But I tried really, really, hard. Really.

And lastly I am left with ANGER - manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. Anger that we do not get to play there everyday. Anger that I have not yet visited the real Paris, the real Pyramids, the real Venice. Anger that I sometimes do not appreciate every single day even we don't.

So there is today's cosmological examination.

Now you'll probably have to go to confession as I have likely corrupted you with only the telling of my sordid story.

Have you learned your lesson?!

No comments: